Saturday, January 17, 2009

Knee Update

Well, it is time I to update my blog!! I can't believe how fast time goes. Months have gone by and my ugly picture in the hospital is still the "face" of my blog...yuck!

My knee is coming along. I started physical therapy on Monday to build strength and get some range of motion back, it is going well. Below is a list of "excellent" and "needs improvement" things I am working on.

Excellent-

-I can bend my knee 100 degree, which is been a slow process over the last few weeks.

-I can completely straighten my knee.

-If I am standing I can lift my leg up almost to a 90 degree angle.

-I can put my foot in my shoe all by myself.

-I can get in and out of bed by myself. (poor Jimmy had to help me every single time in the beginning)

-For the most part I am Loratab free! I only take a half pill when I have overworked my knee and it is sore, but that doesn't happen very often.

Needs Improvement-

-I am still trying to work on lifting my leg off the floor when I am laying down or sitting up. I can't do that yet, it requires far too much muscle strength...

-Range of Motion

-Quad strength. I don't care for the flabby thigh anymore, I want my muscles back!

-Walking without a knee brace and cane (but the cane has a sword in it so it is cool)!

-Driving a car. (I can't lift my leg well enough to drive a car yet, but when I can, I have my handicapped parking pass all ready to use! Woot Woot)

The above picture is a few days after sugery just a few moments after I unwrapped it for the first time.

The right picture is about 6 weeks after surgery. Still quite a bit of swelling but the bandages are gone.

You can't tell a ton from this picture but the muscles in my right leg have atrophied quite a bit.:(


Overall things are going really well. My co-workers that have driven me to and from work, to lunch, to the mall to buy Jim's christmas presents, and physical therapy have been awesome!

Jim has been the most amazing husband ever through this process. Just last night after work he went to Wal-Mart and did all the grocery shopping. He got home, put everything away and crawled in bed at 1:00am.

Right after the surgery when I was really out of commission he would get me my ice, help me get in and out of bed, help me in and out of the car, get me my medicine, cook dinner, run all the errands, rub my sore knee, and still worked so much through Christmas.

Now I am able to do many of those things myself, but Jim still worries about me and runs to me when ever I call for him. I have not heard him complain once that he is doing everything around the house and has to help me so much. When I use to wake him up at 2 in the morning to help me go to the bathroom he would always jump right out of bed with a smile on his face. What a fantastic husband! I love you Jimmy:)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

Aw, Jim's a sweetie :) What a great husband. I'm so glad you're doing better, you'll be runnin around before you know it!

January 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Katey said...

Surgery is so much work! Glad you are doing well on the road to recovery and best part is you have a wonderful husband to help you through it all. That is great of Jim. So good to see you both last night too! :)

January 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Rack said...

I'm glad your knee is feeling better! You'll love having the handicapped pass. It makes everything a lot easier.

January 18, 2009 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger amy rae said...

if you need any help you let me know ok. Amy

January 19, 2009 at 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home